This version of the GCC website is obsolete and is being preserved for reference only. Please go to www.genesee.edu to see the current website.

Certificate of Residence

Instructions for Submitting Certificate of Residence

You must submit a Certificate of Residence to GCC once each year. Failure to submit the appropriate document will result in DOUBLE TUITION CHARGES.

Fall 2022 Certificates of Residence cannot be dated prior to July 8, 2022

IMPORTANT: Certificates of Residence cannot be dated more than sixty (60) days prior to the start of the semester. In addition, your home county is only required to honor those certificates dated within the first thirty (30) days of the semester. Students submitting their out-of-county certificates after the first thirty days of the semester will incur double tuition charges. If your home county will issue and honor a late certificate, then the College will remove the double tuition charges from your account.

Genesee County Residents:

If you have been a legal resident of New York State for the past year AND a resident of Genesee County for the last six (6) months, fill out the Certificate of Residence Application, sign it and turn it in to the Student Accounts Office.

Other New York State Residents:

You are required to provide the College with an out-of-county Certificate of Residence once each year. This enables the College to bill your home county for your residency charges and allows you to pay the single tuition rate.

If you have been a permanent resident of New York State for the past year BUT you have lived outside of Genesee County, please fill out the Certificate of Residence Application, have your signature notarized, and submit it to your County Treasurer. Some counties, such as Erie and Niagara, will require you to provide proof of address. Other counties, such as Livingston, Nassau, Orleans and the New York City counties, require you to appear in person. Please check with your home county treasurer’s office for their requirements. Upon receipt of a valid and complete application, your county will either forward a Certificate of Residence to the Student Accounts Office, or return the Certificate to you, and you must submit it to the Student Accounts Office. It is your responsibility to ensure that a valid Certificate of Residence is on file for you at the Student Accounts Office.

Non-New York State Residents:

Non-Resident tuition is charged to all students who have not been legal, permanent residents of New York for the past year. This includes the following:

  1. International Students (holding an F-1 Visa).
  2. Temporary residents (short-term job assignment or living here while attending college, for instance).
  3. Any person who is in the U.S. on a Visa. Immigrants must have a permanent resident status for one year in order to be eligible for in-state tuition.

If you have any questions, please contact the Business Office at (585) 343-0055 ext 6493.

Local County Treasurers

    7 Court Street
    Belmont, NY 14813
    (585) 268-9289
    1 Leo Moss Drive
    Olean, NY 14760
    (716) 701-3296
    (Appear in Person, Mail, or Email Application directly to Erie County)
    (Proof of Address Required)
    95 Franklin Street
    Buffalo, NY 14202
    (716) 858-8400
    (Appear In Person)
    6 Court Street
    Geneseo, NY 14454
    (585) 243-7050
    39 West Main Street
    Rochester, NY 14614
    (585) 753-1125
    (Appear in Person)
    Office of the Comptroller
    1 Centre St., Room 1329
    Manhattan, NY 10007
    (212) 669-2784
    (Proof of Address Required)
    59 Park Avenue
    Lockport, NY 14094
    (716) 439-7018
    (Appear In Person)
    34 East Park Street
    Albion, NY 14411
    (585) 589-5353
    3 East Pulteney Square
    Bath, NY 14810
    (607) 664-2488
    143 North Main Street
    Warsaw, NY 14569
    (585) 786-8812

PLEASE NOTE: Some counties will issue Certificates of Residence through the mail while others require you to appear in person. Please check with your treasurer's office for their requirements. Counties are only required to issue certificates during the first 30 days of the semester.