This version of the GCC website is obsolete and is being preserved for reference only. Please go to www.genesee.edu to see the current website.
Office of Student Engagement & Inclusion (SEI)
The Office of Student Engagement & Inclusion (SEI) at Genesee Community College (GCC) fosters innovative and collaborative practices that empower students to feel a sense of belonging, explore their interests and passions, and become leaders in a globalized world. Complimenting the academic mission of the college, SEI integrates student learning through social, extracurricular and co-curricular opportunities; each activity achieving one or more core objectives:
- Recreational: activities supporting socializing and socialization among students, faculty and staff.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Social Justice: activities promoting DEI principles, values and advocacy. Enhancing a sense of belonging among students. Fighting against social injustices to promote equity, access, and equality.
- Health & Wellness: activities promoting holistic health (i.e., physical, mental, spiritual, etc.) to achieve life balance.
- Community Engagement: activities promoting engagement in collegiate and personal residential communities; developing and sustaining connections to enhance community goals.
- Global Citizenry: activities promoting engagement abroad (outside of GCC’s landscape) to develop diplomacy, cultural awareness, competence and humility, and appreciate difference in worldview.
- Social & Professional Development: activities promoting development in social and professional capacities; preparing students to enter a globalized and competitive labor market.
SEI supports an inclusive student life environment and promotes opportunities that enable personal growth, leadership development, intellectual inquiry, social and environmental responsibility, community advocacy, and cultural competence and humility. SEI strives to build affinity to GCC among students, during and after their tenure at GCC.
With a wide range of services, resources, and leadership opportunities, including but not limited to, 30 student-led clubs and organizations and a hybrid (online and on-campus) Leadership Certificate Program, SEI provides pathways for student involvement that will enhance leadership skills, reinforce responsible citizenship, and advocate for social justice and equity. SEI encourages students to make intentional decisions about their involvement, as well as engage in learning without limits, both in and out of the classroom, for a more meaningful GCC experience.
SEI promotes positive social change through transformative engagement and learning, GCC students will acquire the necessary skills that will enable them to transition and become leaders in their endeavors post-GCC. SEI will hone the student experience at GCC, providing a foundation for continuous life-long learning and self-exploration.
- Development: SEI will provide opportunities that promote personal and professional growth through organizations, activities and mentorship.
- Inclusion: As social justice champions, we promote the free exchange of ideas, identities and perspectives that foster collective understanding.
- Integrity: We lead authentically; upholding ethical and professional standards.
- Community: We encourage students to engage as active citizens by creating mutual and beneficial partnerships that instill pride in our campus and city.
- Experiential Learning: We seek to engage students in co-curricular and extracurricular educational experiences that develop them into career ready, life-long learners.